Our 13 Demands
Show your support!
We Want Freedom!
Watch our June 27, 2020 press event announcing the Black Philly Radical Collective’s 13 Demands.
End the War Against Black Philadelphians NOW!
During this time of rebellion against police terrorism and state violence, we, the radical Black organizing community in Philadelphia, make the following immediately actionable demands upon the City of Philadelphia to abolish–by which we mean to permanently and holistically eliminate–the structures of policing and related state violence endangering our communities. These demands were written with the understanding that our more vulnerable family–our Black trans, disabled, and gender-oppressed community members–are especially targeted by the systems of oppressions expressed in our demands. We center the most vulnerable within our community in this document and in our work.
1. We Demand an Authentic Defunding of the Police Budget
2. Immediately Cease the Criminalization of Black Resistance
3. Immediately & Permanently Remove All Symbols of State Violence
These first three demands require immediate action from the City of Philadelphia and are not negotiable. They represent immediate steps that the city must take to communicate its responsiveness to the demands of Black Philadelphians for justice for our communities.
We recognize the prison as an extension of police violence and demand the release of our incarcerated community members:
4. Immediate Permanent Release of Mumia Abu Jamal, Major Tillery, Arthur Cetawayo Johnson, Russell "Maroon" Shoatz, Omar Askia, Joseph "Jo-Jo" Bowen, and all Black Political Prisoners
5. Immediate Release of All Vulnerable Individuals in Prison
We demand a complete overhaul of the structures of police accountability:
6. Swift Firing of Killer Cops and Community Response
7. Abolish the Fraternal Order of Police & the Police Advisory Committee
The Black Community has the right to live safely without the threat of violence:
8. End the Military Occupation of the Black Community
9. Protection for Black Philadelphia
10. End All Carceral Systems
11. Disband All Private Police Departments
Racist systems of oppression from slavery to the present must be addressed through economic justice:
12. Fund Communities, Not Cops
13. Economic Justice NOW!
Philly for Real Justice | Black Lives Matter Philly | The Black Alliance for Peace | Black And Brown Workers Cooperative | Colitionist Law Center Philadelphia | Abolitionist Law Center Pittsburgh | Human Rights Coalition Philadelphia | Human Rights Coalition Pittsburgh | Mike Africa Jr. of MOVE | Mobilization for Mumia | International Family and Friends of Mumia Abu Jamal | Malcolm X Grassroots Movement